The Day1 radio program was launched as The Protestant Hour in 1945 by an association of denominations and schools. The Protestant Radio Center was chartered in 1949 by representatives of Agnes Scott College, Candler School of Theology, Columbia Theological Seminary, Emory University, the Methodist Church, the Presbyterian Church U.S., the Presbyterian Church U.S.A., the Protestant Episcopal Church, the United Lutheran Church, and the National Council of Churches' Southeastern office.
A few years later, production of the radio program was unified when the PRC built its own headquarters near the Emory University campus on Clifton Road in Atlanta, Georgia. Much has changed in the decades since. But this media outreach has continued to help millions of listeners hear, understand, and live the Word of God.
Ground was broken in 1953 for the studio and office facilities, and the Martha and Arthur J. Moore chapel studio was dedicated. The name of the organization was changed in 1954 to The Protestant Radio and Television Center, Inc. (PRTVC) and Dr. John M. Alexander was appointed president. In 1955, the PRTVC building was dedicated according to the rites of five Protestant denominations. In 2000, Emory University purchased the property for campus expansion and The Protestant Hour found a new home.
The Protestant Hour developed its first website in 1996, and it has continued to grow and evolve.